Sunday, October 21, 2007

. . . to the ridiculous

Where to begin reconstruction of this barren landscape? Here's how the wasteland looked at the beginning of the weekend . . .



And here's how it looked at the close . . .



What's different? Anything? Nothing? Okay, this is going a lot slower than I had imagined.

My limited accomplishments:

1. Clumps of displaced lambs ear and Siberian iris were divided and re-planted.

2. The blue flag irises were re-planted. My wee wetlands have resisted the hydrological seduction of the new French drain. The water-filled footprints here promise more room in which to expand my knowledge of wetland plants.



3. Exactly 35 bulbs were planted. Only 745 left to go.



4. Some cobblestones were laid along the border of the bed. Additional stones are needed as a number went missing in action. For a former archaeologist, my lines are not very straight or level. I can live with that.

5. The would-be lawn was limed, fertilized, seeded and raked. Then I walked all over it, watched birds nip up seed from it, and hoped that rain might just visit it. Despite the current agitations of some anti-lawn types, I find that a stretch of green grass is essential to visually defining trees, bushes, and flowers. And I like to have a place to set up lawn furniture.



At least these guys are cheerful!

2 comments:

Carol Michel said...

It does seem that everything takes more time than planned, doesn't it. I like some lawn, too, and won't apologize for it!

Carol at May Dreams Gardens

Doctor Mom said...

And you clearly manage your lawn in great style. Keep on mowing!