Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Hyacinths: diminished returns

Because I set out all my hyacinth bulbs within a span of two weeks, they are flowering in unison. It's a colorful chorus! There is candy-sweet "Pink Pearl" . . .



. . . angelic "L'Innocence" . . .



and slightly spicy "Gypsy Queen" . . .



You might think that this explosion would result in rows of forcing vases jockeying for space on the window sills but, sadly, not very many bulbs were successful this year. The ratios ran from 3:5 (Gypsy Queen) to 1:5 (L'Innocence). Some bulbs softened in the refrigerator. Others never broke dormancy. A couple tenuously extended a root or two and then went moldy. I'd like to say that the blooms made it all worthwhile but I'm thinking that . . . oh well . . . maybe next spring I'll just pick up a few potted bulbs.

No comments: